3 Things I Wish I Knew before Starting an Integration
Software integrations are a powerful tool for expediting business operations. Many organizations use integrations to combine the information and functionality from one system with that of another, saving valuable time and resources in the process. Here are three things to consider before starting a software integration.
1. Integrations Should Begin with Process Analysis
Before dedicating time and resources to building an integration, it is important to conduct a thorough analysis of the processes the integration will improve. Useful questions to ask include:
- What software systems are involved in the process?
- Which employees are involved in the process?
- What specific operational benefits is the integration meant to achieve?
For instance, if an accounting department wants to automatically archive invoices generated by its bookkeeping software, it would need to identify the accounting and document management systems that need to be linked together to achieve that goal. Having this information helps the department envision an integration that fits its specific operational needs.
2. Quality Integrations Depend on Flexible Tools
As you plan your integration, it is beneficial to use flexible platforms that can easily interact with other systems. Using software that allows you to modify its source code to link with other systems will help you achieve the goal of your integration without being limited by built-in software constraints.
For example, Laserfiche enterprise content management (ECM) can seamlessly integrate with line of business applications, such as:
- Customer relationship management (CRM) systems. Laserfiche can extract contact information from a CRM system and automatically route it to other applications to quickly process client contracts and transactions.
- Accounting or bookkeeping software. Laserfiche synchronizes with accounting software by pulling financial data from third party documents or systems, storing it in the repository and routing it to the accounting system for verification and approval.
- Student information systems (SIS). Laserfiche can easily pre-populate student enrollment forms, transcript requests, financial aid documents and more by allowing a seamless and secure flow of information from the repository to the SIS.
3. Laserfiche Connector Offers One-click Integrations
If you want to merge the information storage capabilities of a robust ECM system with a primary line of business application, take a look at Laserfiche Connector. This module offers one-click, code-free integration with nearly any third-party application that displays readable text, including:
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Banner by Ellucian
Using Laserfiche Connector to link applications with your organization’s content can save valuable time and money otherwise spent customizing third party applications.
For more tips on how to build an effective software integration, watch this expert panel session, Best Practices for Laserfiche Integrations.