News flash: Users sometimes do things with their work computers that they’re not supposed to. Even when they know better. Even when they've specifically been told not to.

Right. In other news, rocks are hard and water is wet. Is this a surprise to anyone? But what could be a surprise is that we now know how many of them are committing these workplace computer transgressions.

According to a recent survey of 300 IT administrators, a whopping 92 percent see their users doing things on their work computers that they hadn't ought to be doing. What are some examples?

  • Browsing social media websites—82 percent
  • Opening inappropriate email attachments—57 percent
  • Downloading games—52 percent
  • Plugging in unauthorized USB devices—51 percent
  • Plugging in unauthorized personal devices—50 percent
  • Downloading illegally (e.g. pirating movies, music or software)—45 percent
  • Looking for other jobs—39 percent

But some commentators didn’t see that 92 percent statistic as “whopping” at all.

The only thing surprising about the resulting IT Admin Behavioral Study is that the company described the results as surprising—and that fact that only 92 percent of IT admins report troublesome habits among office workers using company computers,” writes Noreen Seebacher in CMSwire. “Are the other 8 percent of IT admins ignorant or just na


Simplicity 2.0 is where we examine the intricate and transitory world of technology—through a Laserfiche lens. By keeping an eye on larger trends, we aim to make software that’s relevant to modern day workers, rather than build technology for technology’s sake.

Subscribe to Simplicity 2.0 and follow us on Twitter. If what we’re saying piques your interest, head over to Laserfiche.com where you’ll see how we apply the lessons learned on Simplicity 2.0 to our own processes, products and industry.

Automation

Robotic Process Automation, or RPA, works by teaching a software robot how to work with existing software to perform a process. Listen to learn more.

Listen Now

Related Articles

By Sharon Fisher, September 14, 2017

The year’s not even over, and it’s already setting records for cybersecurity incidents. Your accounting, human resources, and legal departments are at risk.

Read More

By Sharon Fisher, August 25, 2017

You’ve done it. You’ve automated your business processes. Now what? For a number of companies, the next step is Robotic Process Automation (RPA).

Read More

By Sharon Fisher, August 15, 2017

According to the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, the words you use can determine how you think about something. Here's how to make use of that in business.

Read More