Contributed by: Lance Dutcher, Systems Engineer, Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Indians
The Corporate Commission of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Indians operates 12 separate businesses, including Grand Casino Mille Lacs and Grand Casino Hinckley. As such, it executes roughly 500 contracts a year.
The Corporate Commission had been using a Laserfiche system with Laserfiche Quick Fields to scan HR documents. When Lance Dutcher, Systems Engineer for the Corporate Commission, saw the document routing and tracking capabilities of Laserfiche Workflow at the 2008 Laserfiche Institute Conference in Los Angeles, he realized he already had the tools to build a contract management system using Laserfiche.
“I literally went to one Workflow session at the Conference, came back and started designing workflows,” said Dutcher.
The Corporate Commission completed its contract management project in six months without incurring outside costs.“We already owned Workflow but weren’t using it,” Dutcher explains. “All programming and training were done internally.”
Benefits include time savings, greater visibility into the contract management process and the elimination of unintentionally lapsed contracts.
Tips and Lessons Learned
- Know all exceptions to the rules before building the workflow.
- Keep the names of the activities generic so you can copy and paste them into other workflows.
- Use the search function and auditing to find issues in the workflow.
- Any information that is in a metadata field can be put into a report using Crystal Reports or Microsoft Reporting Services.
- Keep all workflow processes the same so you do not have to retrain end users.
Get started automating your organization’s contract management process by downloading this free guide.