Introducing the Laserfiche API
As our users and solution providers know, Laserfiche offers a robust toolkit of integrations to help you bring Laserfiche Cloud into your digital ecosystem.
We’re here to introduce yet another addition to your integration toolkit, the Laserfiche API, allowing all kinds of applications to interact with the Laserfiche Cloud repository.
What is the Laserfiche API?
The Laserfiche API is a RESTful application programming interface (API) for Laserfiche Cloud.
An API is a set of functions that facilitate communication between two applications. For example, in the case of the Laserfiche API, these functions help other applications interact with the Laserfiche Cloud repository.
RESTful is a standard for APIs, allowing third-party or home-grown applications in virtually any language to send and receive information from web applications in a consistent format. The Laserfiche API can also run on most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS.
Future releases will also include official client libraries that make it easier for developers to work with the Laserfiche API in their preferred programming language.
In summary, an API allows communication between two applications, and the RESTful standard makes sure the applications are speaking the same language. The Laserfiche API allows your Laserfiche Cloud repository to interact with home-grown and third-party systems.
What can you do with the Laserfiche API?
The Laserfiche API enables you to interact with your Laserfiche Cloud repository in a variety of ways, including:
- Import and export documents
- Read and write metadata values
- Create folder structures
- Retrieve search results
Other exciting features, including process automation and OAuth authentication, are coming soon.
What are the use cases?
The general use case for the Laserfiche API is to facilitate information sharing between the Laserfiche Cloud repository and other system your organization uses day-to-day. For example, an educational institution may find that Laserfiche is the most cost-effective and secure enterprise content management solution available to them, but information comes to them from their student information system (SIS).
Below are some of the many system types you may want to integrate with your Laserfiche Cloud repository using the Laserfiche API:
- Customer relationship management (CRM) – sales teams can avoid entering customer and prospect information twice. The Laserfiche API can facilitate the transfer of customer data and documentation from a CRM to Laserfiche when sales closes a deal.
- Enterprise resource planning (ERP) – handle AP processing efficiently with a custom integration that can move invoices and receipts between Laserfiche – which can help you automatically match and capture data from invoices — and your ERP system.
- Human resource management system (HRMS) – seamlessly move employee records, W-4s, contact information and more between your Laserfiche Cloud repository and your human resource management system (HRMS) when onboarding and offboarding employees.
- Student information system (SIS) – Keep systems in sync, using your Laserfiche Cloud repository as a source of truth. Use the Laserfiche API to ensure that transcripts, mailing addresses and other important student information is updated across your systems and platforms.
How do I get started with the Laserfiche API?
We are incredibly excited about what developers will be able to create. To get started with the Laserfiche API, visit our developer page for how-to-guides, reference materials and more.